My Weather

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Attitude


This is a picture of the Tomb of the Unknown Solider in Baghdad



The Army guys around here have a saying—“TOO EASY”. It reflects a very positive, can do attitude. When I brought my truck in to get the oil changed, they replied “Too easy” and got to work. Along the way, they discovered that everything under the floorboards was a disaster. Seeing the problem, they didn’t miss a beat and fixed everything. I was so impressed. The other day, I asked a medic if she knew where I could get a flight physical. “Too easy” she replied . I though it was a simple yes/no question. 15 minutes later, she got back to me with a sheet of paper with 10 phone numbers on it, 9 or which were crossed out. Not only did she find a number, she kept calling the numbers she had until she found the right one.
The sea going service, especially over here, lives by another motto: “DUCK AND COVER”. No matter how simple a task, many individuals will do their best to ignore the task as much as possible. Once they have ducked it to the maximum extent, they will then endeavor to the absolute minimum required. It is a systemic problem throughout the ranks. Trivial paperwork matters often take weeks if not months to get resolved. I am not the only one to notice this attitude; is a source of both humor and disdain to the Army.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know how many submarine sailors you've met, but that's never been our motto - maybe bitch alot while we did whatever, but it's always been about getting the job done no matter what in the UNDERSEA going service.

Can't is just not allowed.

obgirl042 said...

catching up on reading your entries. i'm sad to think that some in the sea going ranks aren't stepping up to the challenge, but i suspect, knowing a sailor w/a can do attitude myself, there are a few out there who are adopting this great Army attitude.