My Weather

Monday, March 05, 2007

Looks


Downtown Baghdad. Way off in the distance you can see what was billed as the world’s biggest mosque. It was one of Saddam’s pet projects when the war started and was never finished.

I was visiting an army hospital the other day. In the old days they were called MASH units. Now, they are called a CSH (pronounced cash) which is short for Combat Support Hospital. In addition to helping coalition forces, they treat some local nationals too.
It was there that I noticed something I had never noticed before. The vast majority of the LNs had these blank expressions on their faces. No fear, anger or joy, just simply a blank, lifeless look. One man I saw was in a wheel chair with a line of staples going from ear to ear over the top of his head and what looked like a couple big pieces of him missing--OK that could explain his blank look. But I also saw a little girl, maybe 4 years old and just as cute as can be; just sitting there was no life at all in her eyes. I watched for a few moments a Doctor examined her and she showed no emotion whatsoever. Her mother had a similar expression on her face. Later on, I saw another woman, with the same stoic expression.
Earlier in the day, I saw a young boy wave at me with what looked like the biggest forced smile on his face. His smile was so unnatural it was almost evil looking. Of all the looks I have gotten, his was the most disconcerting. Later on, I saw a group of young guys, they were all staring daggers at me. They didn’t bother me; it was somewhat comforting to know exactly what they thought of me. The young boy however…
I’ve been to quite a few Middle Eastern countries and I have never seen such looks before. Maybe it is the war? I don’t think it is the culture: I’ve seen some very animated folks in these parts before both in the good way and the bad way. If the eyes are the window to the soul then I don’t know what to make of some of the people around here.

1 comment:

Patti said...

Being fairly new to this blog thing it took me a little while to find the postings for March (my screen was opening to the 2/28 posting). I had a few days catching up to do but I look forward to seeing what's going on there and what new discoveries you have made. Thanks for sharing them and expanding my view of the world.