My Weather

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Fishing


I mailed my fly rod home the other day. With all the heat, thick clumps of weeds have overtaken the lake. As it is, the only fish that are biting are “masgoof”, which are Iraqi carp. They are pretty huge, but they are still a trash fish though—although the Iraqis love ‘em. Someone once told me that the only way to eat a carp is to filet it on a board, marinate it for 12 hours, throw the fish away and eat the board. Still, they are fun to catch, even though I’ve lowered myself to use a spinning rod and hunks of sausage for bait. In a few more weeks, I hope to take an “almost five year old’ fishing for the first time.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I know an "almost five year-old" who is in for a great time! Papa took our 3 1/2 year-old fishing a couple of months ago and they had ball! She caught 7 or 8 bream with her own little rod and reel while her little brother & I rode around the pond in the pedal boat. She still talks about that fishing trip!