My Weather

Saturday, November 04, 2006

A busy day

Today was a busy day. We had a video teleconference with the folks we will be relieving in Iraq. Because of the time zone change, we had to meet at 0545. I wanted to go for a run and today was my day to hit the weight room. So, because of a packed schedule, I got up at 0330, went for a run, showered, and then went to the conference. After the conference ended, we had a couple of hours off so I hit the weight room. After that, I had class all day. As far as class is concerned, it seems to me that the motto for the folks here at Ft Huachuca is “it is the process that counts, results are secondary”. I have an important jog to do in Iraq, give me the tools to do it. I want to have information dripping out of my ears when I leave here. As it is, we have to engage our selective listening skills to filter out the important information from the trivia. From my perspective, the ratio of trivia to important information is about 80-20%. Oh well. I remember way back when, when I was in Bahrain. I ran into a British Sergeant Major of the Royal Marines (sitting on a curb outside the Warbler). He was on the 5th deployment to the gulf. He said to me: “I take the queen’s shilling and eat the Queen’s biscuit. I go where she sends me”. Good advice.

I have important job to do and I just have to deal with the process until I get over there.

As much as I hate leaving Braye and the girls, the job I will be doing over there will have a profound effect on some guy’s lives. That is what important. I’m at the point: just let me go let me do my job.

No comments: