My Weather

Monday, February 26, 2007

Live and let live

This is a picture of one of the walls that surround the compound. On the inside things can be very tranquil at times. On the outside, however, it is a far different story…

When it comes to my running, I am pretty much a libertarian—live and let live. From 0430 to 0530, it is my time. The rest of the day belongs to the Army. For a little back ground, the Navy doesn’t have an official PT uniform. I typically run wearing a pair of blue shorts and a grey Tee shirt with NAVY written across the front (the Army has the same shirt, but with ARMY written on it)
Anyway, there I was at 0445, running along, minding my business, when I came across 2 guys running in the opposite direction. One of them did a post hole maneuver (a 180 degree turn) and started following me. I didn’t think much of it at first, but I noticed that he was gaining on me. Having competition is a good thing and it helps me avoid slacking off, so I picked up the pace some. Well, this guy kept coming, so I picked up the pace a little more. Finally, he pulled up next to me and, while huffing and puffing, said to me:
“hey!”, huff pant, “you need to tuck that shirt in…” Of course it took him quite a few breaths to get that sentence out. He was an older guy and not in the best of shape.
Since it was clear that he was violating “my time”, I decided to have some fun. I picked up the pace some more asked him to repeat what he said. He again struggled to tell me that I had to tuck my shirt in.
“Why?” I asked him
“Army” pant, puff, huff, huff... “regulations”
“really which one?”
“Um” pant... pant, huff, puff “Army regulation 1475” huff huff, pant.
A this point we are doing a 6 minute mile pace and I’m starting to feel it. This guy however, is about 2 heartbeats from a massive MI. So I say to him “well, I’m not in the Army”
He then starts to say something else, but all I heard was “Oh F%$@!” and then a retching sound.

I made a loop around the lake and a few minutes later I passed him again. He was bent over on the side of the. This time he wasn’t very talkative.

Live and let live

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work!!! Stay safe over there!

Patti said...

I really enjoy reading all the things you write about. I especially like the pictures. The one of the bridge over the canal is beautiful! Thanks for giving us a "window on your world".

Anonymous said...

Good response, and how ridiculous. There is always those kinds in the military.

When I first went in the Navy, going through "A" school ('83 I think), I was headed out of the barracks out for liberty one afternoon after class. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt, sneakers, nothing out of the ordinary. This Skimmer Puke 1st class stops me in the barracks hallway and tells me I have to wear a belt. Mind you I don't know him, and I've never seen him before. I can tell who he is by his uniform, though. I laugh and tell him I'm not in uniform, if he hadn't noticed. He informs that it doesn't matter - if your trousers have belt loops in them, you must have a belt - according to uniform regs. And he quoted the section and paragraph.

He then proudly tells me this story of how he prevented his XO from leaving the ship on liberty in civvy clothes without belt when he was POOD. (If I was XO I would have told him to stuff his belt somewhere) I tried to ignore him, but he actually physically blocked my path, and threatened to write me up.

So, I went back to my room and cut my belt loops off. He saw me again, and asked me if I had a belt on. I said no, and he couldn't stop me now. I showed him my beltloopless jeans. He was furious. He stormed off. He never bothered me again.

Bharad said...

nice little adventures... thanks for showing your world... these little stores are very interesting