My Weather

Thursday, February 22, 2007

What I can and Can't say


Like all Americans, I have a first amendment right to free speech. Also, like most people, I have my fair share of opinions. Of course, being in the military, that means I have certain restrictions as to how I can exercise this right. For one, I am forbidden by the UCMJ (Uniformed Code of Military Justice) from “Contempt towards public officials”—individuals such as the President, Vice President and members of Congress. (Too bad so many members don’t reciprocate). I am also bound by the rules of OPSEC (operational security) so, I will not discuss certain aspects of my job or of the mission over here. I may also be intentionally vague when writing about certain things or I may delay my writing about a particular event until it has long since passed.
One issue that does come to mind is the recent “non binding resolution” that was approved by the House of Representatives. I think a better name would be “The hang in there Al Qaeda resolution.” In my opinion, the resolution will not deter us from our mission---a mission that I fully support and feel will be very effective. I also feel that this resolution will embolden our enemies. The bad guys know that they will never win the war over here-they will win it inside the Beltway. This vote was a major victory for them. In our not so distant past, our leaders knew the politics should end on the waters edge—they abided by this rule because they new that young Americans would wind up getting killed if they didn’t.
These are some M-1 tanks on the base, just one of the common sights around here

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very articulately unsaid.

From a Navy vet and retiree, I can speak my piece, and I'll do it for you. Despite what those jerks in Congress (or should I call them Regress) say or do, you have my thanks for all you do, and I know you have the support of many, many, many folks back home.

Unfortunately, or perhaps it is fortunate, for now at least, that Congress's words mean nothing.

Stay safe and come home in one piece.

aunt arlis said...

Glad to see your opinion on Congress's resolution. We wondered what you thought about it. Aunt A.

aunt arlis said...

Glad to see your opinion on Congress's resolution. We wondered what you thought about it. Aunt A.