My Weather

Sunday, May 20, 2007

So, this one time at Band Camp…


OK, I normally go with the flow about certain things, but I hit my limit with this one. Each Army Division has their own band. So, when it comes time for parades, they have their music to march to. No problem there. But, someone along the line came up with the bright idea that band music is motivating for the troops, so everywhere you look, there is the band. One day I was out running at 0500, and there was the band (Stetson hats and all) playing in the middle of a field. Strange, but no harm done. Today, when I was going into the BX, there is the band playing along (in 105 degree heat) . Goofy, but more power to you guys.
The thing that puts the ass into asinine, however, is then they bring the band into the chow hall. OK, the flute section by itself can add a little ambiance. But about once a week, they bring in the big horns. The music is so loud you can’t even think, let alone talk. It would help if they could actually play. I know, I have often said to my wife: “Hey honey, let’s go out for dinner, I know a restaurant that has a great tuba player!”

1 comment:

Patti said...

Your Band Camp posting really struck a note with me (sorry). I notice the guys are playing with no music. I'm interested to know what kind of music they play. (And I know you had to say that about the flute players because of your wife.) I assume the poster on the wall goes along with the band (We go where you go!). I noticed another poster (Camp Liberty Food Court). Do you really get Burger King & Popeye's Chicken? I am impressed by all the books you've read since you've been over there. It takes me awhile to get through just one! Stay safe and know that many prayers are going up for you and those who serve with you.