My Weather

Saturday, May 05, 2007

A Great Dictator, but…

The grounds in front of one of Saddam’s palaces



I spoke with one of our interpreters today. He had a similar opinion ofSaddam Hussein that I have heard several times before: "He was a greatdictator, but a terrible person". He did keep the trains running and thewater flowing. He also killed anyone that was a threat to his power.He told me that Saddam wouldn't kill innocent people (unlike his sons),but the problem was that a lot of people threatened him. He then told mean interesting story. The guy I was talking to is an Iraqi Christian.One day, a gang of Muslims broke into his church in Baghdad andthreatened the Priest (Apparently they were upset that the infidelPriest was allowing women to enter his church). Saddam gotwind of the trouble and told the leader of the crowd to leave the Priestalone or he and his family would disappear,

No comments: