My Weather

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pimp my ride


In the Navy, I seldom knew which jet I would be flying until maybe a hour or so before launch. As a result, all of the jests were very standardized.
Not in the Army however, guys are assigned to a truck and that truck is the one they roll in. If that truck was to go down for a maintenance problem (which rarely happens), they wouldn’t swap trucks, another truck and crew would take their place. These kids get attached to their trucks, and inevitably they “pimp their ride” with custom light bars, sirens, bumpers, loudspeakers—not quite Road Warrior, but pretty cool. The best thing I saw, or rather herd, was some guy rigged up the music system from an ice cream truck. So the other day, I was walking along and I heard “It’s a Small World” blaring down the street in downtown Camp Victory, Iraq. It was great! Just hearing that sound brought me back to a simpler time and place. I think it made quite a few people’s day.

1 comment:

SGT Ted said...

Are there still lots of NTV road warrior style trucks being used? When I was there, 2003 to 2004, we used to see lots of modded NTVs with the roofs cutoff, doors removed and gun mounts welded on for each passenger seat for crew served weapons. I wish I had taken lots of pictures, bevause they were right out of Mad Max. This was before the armor mandate and we still rolled in softskin vehicles because thats what we had.