My Weather

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

BX


This is the BX here on the base. Technically it is the AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) store. There motto is “we go where you go”. That part is true, every FOB has at least a BX trailer. Think of it as a Wal-Mart whose inventory is managed by a couple of monkeys. For some reason the sell 42” plasma TVs, but can’t seem to keep anything else in stock. You can’t be choosey wish it comes to shopping there. If you have a favorite brand of something, you might be better off having someone ship it to you. The other day, the only shampoo they had was Island Coconut. OK, I secure enough in my manhood to walk around smelling like Pablo the pool boy.
One of the nice features is that they take debt cards and you are allowed to get $20.00 back for each purchase. There are no ATMs in theater, so it is the easiest way to get cash. Right before I left on leave, I bought quite a few $22.50 sodas.
In addition to the BX, there is a Green Bean Coffee shop, a Taco Bell and Pizza Hut Trailer. There is a local “Hajji mart” there as well. Half of their goods are made in China and most of it is junk. I did buy a holster there—it is 6 months old and is now held together with wire ties and tape. Someone mentioned that, in the picture I posted the other day, the musicians didn’t use sheet music. Since they don’t know how to play, I don’t think that it would do any good.

No comments: