My Weather

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Humanity

The other day, one of my guys came down with a case of appendicitis and had to go in for an emergency appendectomy. The nearest hospital was located at a detention center. There, the worst of the worst kept. These guys aren’t your everyday criminals. These are the guys that blow up mosques, plant IEDs and execute children.
When I went to visit him, he was in the ICU recovering. There were a few detainees there as well, some of which were in pretty bad shape. One thing that really struck me was the compassion the nurses showed the detainees. I watched a nurse comfort a detainee while a doctor was adjusting none of the many tubes running into him. She was the same nurse that was looking after my guy and there was no difference at all in the quality of care that she provided. This was true of all of the nurses and doctors I saw. They are true professionals and it made no difference to them who they were treating or what they had done. It spoke volumes about their humanity.

I’m sure that the insurgents treat our prisoners with the same level of compassion and care.

Of course, I must be mistaken, according to the senior senator from Massachusetts:

“Shamefully we now learn that Saddam's torture chambers reopened under new management, U.S. management.” Edward Kennedy

2 comments:

Obob said...

keep your heads chaps. The upside is the truth will be known in time.
I heard a story about the sad Iraqi POWs returning to Iraq after the first Gulf War. They enjoyed the conditions and treatment of the Coalition and knew the pathetic life waiting for them.
Remember, we are the good guys. We wear the white hat

Elaine said...

I stumbled across your blog a long time ago and I read it when I can. I absolutely love your posts but I love this one. It says alot but our nurses and how wonderful they are. Very well written. Take care of yourself and make sure you drink that water!!