My Weather

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Relief in sight

Well not exactly, but pretty close. Few weeks ago, my boss from back home emailed and told me about a guy that is coming over here to do the same job that I’m doing. Not only is he coming to Iraq, but he is showing up a few weeks before I’m due to leave. So, I got in touch with him, made a few phone calls and he is going to be my relief. As nice as it is to know that I have a relief, I pressed for him to take my job for strictly unselfish reasons.

Last fall I was told that I was going to Iraq. I had a general idea what I would be doing, but I had no idea what exactly, or where I’ll be going. It was very unnerving. Would I be living in a tent, eating MREs and getting mortared every night? I had no idea.
I didn’t find out that I was coming to my brigade until the night prior. Pretty unsat.

The guy that is taking my job now knows a couple months out exactly what he’ll be doing, where he will living, etc. I also work in a fantastic unit and I’m glad to see that my job is going to a good guy. He can also mail his stuff out if he wants and gets to inherit a “wet” trailer. Too bad this isn’t the way it works for everybody.

No comments: