My Weather

Monday, December 11, 2006

Second day in Baghdad


Today was my second day in Baghdad. To start off the day, I had a meeting in the Al Faw Palace. The architecture was amazing—it is along the lines of what I saw in the Vatican. Too bad so many people had to starve to build it. While I was there, I got to sit in Saddam’s thrown. I took a picture, but it will be quite some time before I can down load the pictures from my camera. After my visit to the palace, I checked into my new command. Still no word as to where I’ll be going. All we know is that most of us will fly out of Baghdad on Wednesday.
I went for a run today and I saw something to put into my “Gee, I never thought I would see that in Iraq” file. I came across a small deer feeding on the side of the road. As it turns out, this entire area was part of Saddam’s private hunting preserve and the animals went loose after the invasion. Apparently, there are even some jackals running about. I also saw some soldiers fishing on one of the lakes. If I wind up staying here, I think I’ll ask Braye to send me my fishing rod.


The internet is extreamly slow here, so just keep in mind that if you don’t hear from me for a while it is most likely because I just can't get through.

No comments: