My Weather

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What is Kuwait is Like?


We flew in yesterday after it got dark so I didn't get to see much of Kuwait. (On a side note, we flew right over Baghdad on the way in, kinda a strange feeling flying over the city in an airliner) I can say that what I've seen, Kuwait is a dirty, dusty place. I woke up today to a cold and rainy day. I would say it was about 55 degrees today. I'm staying at a joint Army and Navy base. It is an interesting place, with no permanent buildings. Everything is located in either a tent or a trailer. I'm living in a 20 man tent right now. The heat doesn't work, but our sleeping bags work very well. Everywhere you look there are concrete barricades and boxes of bottled water stacked up. The sand here is a dark brown and is as fine as talcum powder. I can see how it gets into everything. I will send pictures as soon as I get my laptop over here.
Besides having a PX, post office and all the other places that comes with a base, there is also a Pizza Hut, Subway and McDonald's. I usually eat in the DIFAC (army talk for the dining facility) It is quite good with a lot of different kinds of food. Think of it as a typical family buffet restaurant (except there are no crying babies here and everyone is carrying a gun) My only complaint is that they only have flavored half and half and I like the plain stuff.
There are a couple of Internet cafes on the base here, but the connections are very slow at times. Hotmail especially doesn't like the connection speeds and I have a hard time sending and receiving email. SO if you don't hear from me, please bear with me.

1 comment:

aunt arlis said...

so glad you arrived safely. sounds like you need a full nite of sleep. thank god for the wonderful people of bangor maine who gave you the support you needed as you go off to war. God Bless, Stay Safe. Aunt A and Uncle P